- I began blogging in 2005 after my eventual-mother-in-law suggested that it might be something I could be interested in, especially since she knew I was into "arty/crafty" stuff. She used Loobylu as her key example of the potential of blogging. That evening I went home and promptly set up a blog and called it Shelbyville. And I have been blogging (allbeit sporadically at times) ever since. Actually, so has Loobylu I'm pretty sure.
- I picked up the nickname Shelby while studying architecture at college, and so used it for the name of my blog, intending Shelbyville to mean 'the world and goings-on of Shelby'. It was only later that I came to realise that Shelbyville was also the fictional town next-door to Springfield in The Simpsons.
- I am not especially an avid fan of The Simpsons. I appreciate its comic and cultural value and contribution to American society and all that, but in general I'm not really a TV watching person. Any correlation with the town of Shelbyville (both the fictional and the real) was merely an annoying coincidence...
- I am very fond of vintage graphics / packaging / signage / games / books / fabrics. Especially typewriter ribbon tins.
- As a young child I would sneak into my brother's bedroom when he was at school, and 'borrow' his beautifully organised colouring pencil set. He always found out, even though I was very careful about returning the pencils to their exact colour spectrum. Eventually I saved up $30 in pocket money (a HUGE amount of money at the time) and bought my very own set of 72 Derwent colouring pencils. I still have them!
- My favourite smell in the whole world is of (old) Crayola crayons. They recently changed the recipe/composition of their crayons, so they no longer smell like they used to :(
- When I was in Sydney, I lived in a converted warehouse apartment that used to be the old Cyclops Toy Factory. It still had the original diagonal wooden floorboards, heavy wooden ceiling beams, and the old tall windows. My loft studio space was lit by an angled bank of windows in the saw-tooth roof - it was divine. Funnily enough, I still receive emails from people desperately trying to find spare parts for their vintage Cyclops toys!
- Like Dani, I also eat with my fork in my right hand & my knife in my left, even though I am right-handed. Guess I just used a fork more, so it got the 'precision' hand...
- My travel wishlist is long and extensive, but my current top-3 dream destinations would be:
1) a European sojourn that included Italy, Spain, France, Holland, and Scandinavia;
2) New York;
- I was born in Vancouver, and so I hold two passports: Australian and Canadian. With a British mother and a Dutch father, I could possibly get a third passport, but haven't tested the theory yet.
- I am currently pregnant with my second son - only 50 days until his due delivery date!! Eeeek!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Obvious answer aside, I would also be very lost without the internet and all the devices I need to access it (iPhone, iPad, laptop). I'd also be quite lost without books and the local libraries I am utterly dependent on for the gazillions of books/magazines/CDs/audio books/DVDs I borrow - I am constantly maxing out both my own library card and my son's library card as well!